Monday, September 24, 2007

WEEK 10: I'm Melting! I'm Melting...

Here I am kicking off the 10th week of the Beck Diet Solution, and by all rights I should be feeling sorry for myself that my paltry efforts last week resulted in a gain.

Instead, I'm patting myself on the back because I'm only 1/2 lb. from my third 5-lb. goal! Even with all the distractions last week and the limited exercise, I dropped a whopping 3 lbs.! I don't know how, I don't know why. I might be channeling that witch, but hey, bring on another bucket of water!

I'm even more surprised that I lost 3 lbs. because I'd noticed in the previous two weigh-ins I'd lost 2 lbs. both times, so I was sort of expecting this loss to be 2 lbs. too. Noticing that trend reminded me of a game I used to play with myself. Whenever I had some important event coming up (the first day of school, a vacation, a family reunion), I would calculate how much weight I could lose by then. Since a recommended rate of weight loss is 1-2 lbs. a week, I would figure out how much I could lose if I lost 1 lb. a week (because surely I could do that), and then I would amuse myself by doubling that number to "inspire" myself to lose 2 lbs. a week. But then of course I wouldn't lose any weight at all and have to start the game all over again with a new milestone. Maybe it's just as well I broke the trend this week, because I don't need to play games with myself anymore. I am losing the weight all right!

But I can't keep counting on this magic melting; I need to stick to my Beck Diet Solution principles. To that end, my goal for this week is to look at my To-do List every night. I'm not even go to expect myself to do everything on it, but I must look at it and mark off the things I do accomplish. Maybe this way I can get myself back into the program mindset and keep watching that fat disappear!



No comments: