Wednesday, August 1, 2007

DAY 10: The New Math: 5=20

This step of the program is setting a realistic weight-loss goal.

Dr. Beck is vague in this chapter, asking people to set a goal in pounds but not in time. I don't think it's useful to vow to lose 5 pounds but not give myself a deadline to work towards. Maybe that's because I'm a procrastinator and need a deadline to stay on track?

But she also plays coy about the goal itself, making it seem as if a goal of 5 pounds is merely a good one, then insisting 5 is the magic number. Those details of this chapter annoy me, but I agree that a goal is a great motivator.

I also know competition is a great motivator for me, so a friend and I are turning weight-loss into a contest. We're going to see who can lose 20 pounds first, and the grand prize is a massage, loser's treat! We'll weigh in for the contest every 2 weeks and whoever's lost the most wins $25 from the other. True, this plan doesn't include a concrete end-date either, but each bi-weekly weigh-in will be something for me to shoot for.

My friend is resistant to trying the Beck Diet Solution, so I'm confident I can win this contest. However, I don't expect to lose all 20 pounds in the remaining 32 days of the program. At 1-2 pounds a week, the best I could hope for is 8-9 pounds, but I've decided to be cautious and set my official goal at Dr. Beck's suggested/decreed 5 pounds.

No comments: