Friday, August 10, 2007

DAY 19: No Fooling!

The 19th step is to stop deluding myself into eating the things I shouldn't.

The first part of this step is a checklist of ways I might have rationalized eating something I knew I shouldn't. Of the 17 excuses, I've used 12 -- that's 70%, a definite failing grade in this case:
  • I'll eat it only this one time.
  • It's not that fattening.
  • I'll make up for it by eating less later.
  • It won't matter.
  • It'll go to waste.
  • Everyone else is eating it.
  • I'm celebrating.
  • It's free.
  • I really want it.
  • It's a special occasion.
  • I'm upset, and I just don't care.
  • I'm craving it, and I'll probably eat it eventually.

Dr. Beck's idea is that if I'm on the look out for these and other excuses, I can stop giving in to them by reading this Response Card:

It's Not Okay

It's not okay to eat unplanned food of any kind. I'm just trying to fool myself. Every single time I eat something I'm not supposed to, I strengthen my giving-in muscle and weaken my resistance muscle. I might feel good for the few seconds I'm eating, but I'll feel bad afterwards. If I want to lose excess weight and keep it off, I absolutely must stop fooling myself.

The "giving-in muscle" and "resistance muscle" are Dr. Beck's metaphors for weak will power and strong will power. She uses them to encourage dieters to resist cravings and desires (strengthening the resistance muscle) instead of being weak and rationalizing bad decisions (strengthening the giving-in muscle), the idea being that each good or bad decision will make it easier for us to make the same decision the next time. So strengthening my resistance muscle means making good decisions now so I can easily make better decisions from now on.

In the past, my giving-in muscle was Mr. Universe-sized and my resistance muscle was non-existent. Since starting the Beck Diet Solution, my giving-in muscle has atrophied, but I'm not sure about my resistance muscle. Since I'm not faced with any cravings, my "workouts" aren't very strenuous, but I am making lots of other good decisions. And now I'm prepared for when the next craving hits!

1 comment:

tommie said...

I have found since starting the Beck Diet Solution that just visualizing will power as a muscle that I can strenghtened has helped me to resist temptations. I love your posts each day.