Friday, August 24, 2007

DAY 33: It's ANger, Not HUNger

On Day 33, Dr. Beck begins teaching how to eliminate emotional eating.

Apparently today's task is step 1 and step 2 is tomorrow's task. I'm pleased that Dr. Beck gives so much attention to emotional eating, because it has been a big problem for me. Bored, anxious, sad, angry -- these have all been excuses to eat foods I shouldn't (and lots of them).

Happily, I haven't had any trouble with emotional eating since I started the Beck Diet Solution. And it's not because I'm suddenly on an even emotional keel; for instance, just recently I had a terrible experience when someone I volunteer with threw a temper tantrum and took out all of his frustration and anger on me. The unfairness of it and the unwarranted hostility once would have been enough to drive me to stuff everything in my kitchen into my mouth, but that didn't happen this time. I really do think like a thin person now.

But I am still pretty shaken by the experience and I haven't been able to completely let go of the anger I'm feeling, so even though I didn't turn to food to soothe these hurts, I'm hoping Dr. Beck's recommendations can also set my mind at ease.

To prevent negative emotions from driving me to eat, Dr. Beck recommends the same mindset techniques and similar behavioral techniques as she did for fighting cravings:


The Mindset Techniques:

  1. Label How You're Feeling.

  2. Stand Firm.

  3. Don't Give Yourself a Choice.

  4. Imagine the Aftermath of Giving In.

  5. Read my ARC.

The Behavioral Techniques:

  1. Distract Myself.

  2. Drink a soothing No- or Low-Calorie Beverage.

  3. Relax.

OK, well step 1 in eliminating emotional eating isn't all that helpful in resolving negative emotions. Here's hoping step 2 will be more useful.

In the meantime, I will continue to know that I have to deal with distress in non-food-related ways so I can lose this weight once and for all!

No comments: