Friday, August 3, 2007

DAY 12: Not Even Pearl Jam for Lunch

Day 12, the task is to practice hunger tolerance by skipping lunch.

The title reference is for humorous effect; I'm not at all worried about skipping a meal. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm not doing hunger these days, so even without a meal I expect whatever hunger I do feel to be minimal.

I have experience skipping meals already; when I get wrapped up in a project I tend to forget to eat. And in those cases, I barely notice I'm hungry until my head starts pounding and my stomach's rumblings can be heard for miles around.

The only drawback I can see to skipping lunch today is that I'm more likely to make bad decisions when I do eat. That is especially important today because I'm hosting a party this evening, and my guests will be bringing goodies to share...

But I have a plan. First, I'm not going to notice lunch (or the lack of it) because I'll be running around crazily trying to prepare my house while finishing a couple of other projects and fitting in my exercise for the day. Second, I'm going to have a good dinner right before the party starts. That way, I'll be completely full and less likely to be tempted by the goodies. And third, I'm going to wear a rubber band on my wrist to reinforce visually my desire to not eat anything at the party.

An argument could be made that it's risky to have my "hunger strike" on a day when I'm most likely to face temptations, but I believe my motivation is strong enough (thank you, ARC), my plan is in place, and I like the idea of completing my tasks on time so I can move on to bigger and better things.

No comments: