Monday, August 13, 2007

DAY 22: A Deep Thought

The first step in the fourth week is learning to deal with disappointment.

Dr. Beck's instructions are to say, "Oh, well", whenever you're faced with something you don't like but need to accept. In fact, she explains that "Oh, well" is shorthand for, "I don't like this but I'm going to accept it and move on."

This exercise would be helpful in all kinds of situations, but in particular to my diet, it will help me face that I can't have my cake, eat it too, and still lose weight! Many times, I have fallen into the trap of telling myself dieting is too hard so I just won't do it anymore. What I ignored was that if I didn't diet, I didn't lose the weight.

Instead, this time I'm going to be reasonable with myself and acknowledge that yes, dieting is hard but the results are worth it, so I need to accept that I can't have a box of doughnuts/skip going to the gym/stop reading my ARC every day. There is no sense in "railing against the fates" and wishing I were magically thin and healthy instead of having to work hard, so I just have to say, "Oh, well", and get on with losing weight.

And I am! Losing weight that is. On the first official weigh-in, I lost 1.5 pounds! Yay, me!

I've updated both my weight-loss graph and my weight-loss ticker, for a double dose of encouragement:

No comments: