Monday, October 8, 2007

WEEK 12: Back to Basics

The Beck Diet Solution has changed my life by changing the way I think. A lot of the diet challenges I endured for more than 20 years are no longer a problem, and dieting is easy for me now. The weight just seems to be melting away, so what more could I ask for?

As it happens, I would ask to be more confident in my dieting. It's true that my results have been fantastic, but I'm doubting myself and my efforts now. I'd like to return to those early days on the program when I could see how much my life was changing and it really charged up my confidence and excitement about dieting.

To that end, I'm going to go back to the beginning and reread the Beck Diet Solution book. My goal this week is to retrace the first 7 steps in an effort to jump-start my enthusiasm for dieting and my faith in myself. That way I can continue to lose weight and know that it's because of my new "thin person" mindset, instead of worrying that it's all a fluke that could come to an end any time.

Fortunately, my poor performance last week didn't bring an end to the downward slope of my chart. I did lose this week, if only 1 lb. And that right there is an indication of my mindset: losing only a pound seems like a failure to me, when I should be thrilled that my other dieting skills are strong enough that skipping a lot of exercise didn't do any damage. But that's OK, Dr. Beck will sort me out.



No comments: