Monday, October 29, 2007

WEEK 15: I Am the Tortoise (goo goo g'joob)

Another 1/2 pound gone this week. I'm disappointed at not seeing a bigger number of course, but I have to consider myself lucky to have lost at all after last week's lapses.

I'd like to commit to a bigger number at next week's weigh-in, but I don't want my focus to be on the scale. Yes, I want the scale to give me positive feedback, but it's more important that my exercise and eating are appropriate.

So my first goal for this week is to use my pilates kit at least once. Baby steps!

My second goal is to attend all 7 classes at the Y this week and really put some effort into them.

My third goal is the most important, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

I've noticed that I'm slipping back into my old pattern of thinking I only have to be "good" for a short period of time and then I can relax and "celebrate". For instance, today was the first weigh-in for my weight-loss contest. I was worried before the weigh-in, again because of last week, but I kept thinking that once I got over that hurdle, I could cut loose and "treat" myself to some extra calories. This mindset didn't do me any favors in the past, and with the holidays almost upon us... I am afraid, I am very, very afraid. It doesn't help that I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and when planning the menu, I keep adding more and more of my favorite foods and fantasizing about stuffing my face until I pop.

Clearly I must get myself back under control. Any time it would be dangerous to give myself permission to splurge, but right now, on the brink of Thanksgiving, my birthday, and then Christmas... In 2 short months, I could easily undo all the progress of this summer!

So my third goal this week is to curb this dangerous thinking, but I'm not sure how to do it. For now, I'm staying aware of it and fighting it in the moment.

Something that could help is the weight-loss contest. In today's weigh-in, I won! But it was because my friend gained weight in the last two weeks, not necessarily because I did so well. But now that she's $25 poorer and probably more motivated to lose in the next two weeks, I need to step up my efforts too. Because turtling along at 1/2-lb. losses is not going to win me the race!


No comments: