Sunday, October 21, 2007

WEEK 13: Recap

Dieting on the road is hard!

My goal to exercise while travelling went unmet; I was always too busy or too tired to take advantage of the free exercise room or the late pool hours. But I did really well at exercising before and after my trip; I even delayed my departure a couple of hours so I could go to an exercise class first! So despite falling short of my goal, I'm feeling good about my level of exercise this week and expecting good results from the scale tomorrow.

Dieting was also a challenge; I unexpectedly encountered four different buffets and wasn't fully prepared to deny myself at all of them. At the snack buffet, I was pretty good at avoiding the junk food choices like doughnuts and chocolate. I had a granola bar, a banana, a raisin bagel, and then a lollipop. I felt really guilty about the lollipop, because I didn't need it, I just wanted it. But at 60 calories and no fat, the actual damage was relatively small.

At the dinner buffet, I was doing great! I stuck to a single plate and filled up mostly on the soup. And then everyone wanted dessert... I had planned to skip the dessert table, but when it became a social visit, I went along. And then I couldn't choose between the chocolate-frosted chocolate cake, the cream cheese-frosted carrot cake, the rum ball, and the cherry crumble. So I got some of each... In the end, I didn't eat more than a bite of each, but that was enough to push me past comfortably full, right into bloated and moaning.

By the breakfast buffet, my stomach was feeling better, but my guilt was going strong. So I walked right past the waffle station and stuck to a bowl of raisin bran cereal with milk and 2 slices of toast with butter and jam.

Then there was the lunch buffet. I was still feeling strong and stuck to the salad end and a single plate. Everything was so delicious, but I held strong and didn't even look at the entree tables or the dessert tables. Yay, me!

But then I ruined it on the way home by giving in to the siren call of a frozen treat... It wasn't very good but I finished it anyway because it had cost so much. That's something else I'll have to work on in addition to strengthening my will power!

No comments: