Saturday, July 28, 2007

DAY 6: The Blind Leading the Blind

The sixth step in the program is finding a diet coach, someone to offer motivation, support, and help with your efforts.

I groaned when I read this chapter. Sad as it is, I don't have anyone in my life I can count on to encourage my efforts to lose weight, either because they have their own weight issues or they have an investment in keeping me the way I am.

Dr. Beck suggests joining an organized group or hiring a diet professional as alternatives to asking a friend or relative, but group sharing doesn't appeal to me and my finances don't currently allow for a professional. I might find a way to overcome these objections, but I really think I can lose weight alone.

Or almost alone. Dr. Beck admits she is serving as everyone's diet coach through the book, and another blogger was kind enough to leave a comment about an online support group. I'm still a little leery of the group sharing thing, but I've joined the Mind Over Matter team as beckdietr.

Other than the book, I think this blog will be the most useful in keeping my motivation high. This is where I'll chart my weekly change in weight, my successes and credit deserved, and my struggles with cravings, slip-ups, or stressors. But if I find myself in need of further support or help, I have the online group as a backup.

And even though I don't think it's true now, I've created a Response Card in case I lose momentum later:

Sabotaging Thought: I should be able to do this by myself.
Helpful Response: If I could do it by myself, I'd have already lost weight and kept it off. I need to face the fact that I need help.

With this Response Card at the ready, I'll be prepared to find a face-to-face diet coach should it ever become necessary. And in the meantime, I've got the Internet!

No comments: