Sunday, July 22, 2007

Training My Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

I am 34 years old and have not lived a single day that I wasn't overweight. That's a problem.

As a child, I didn't understand the problem. As a teenager, I convinced myself that eating too much and exercising too little had nothing to do with the problem. As an adult, I've accepted that eating too much and exercising too little are exactly the problem, but I haven't been able to figure out a lasting solution.

Then I ran across a reference to Judith Beck's book, The Beck Diet Solution. Usually I regard self-help books as pap at best and hoaxes at worst, but Dr. Beck's message rang true for me. Changing the way you think is the key to changing your behavior (the foundation of cognitive therapy), and Dr. Beck's program does seem as if it can change the way I think about eating less and exercising more.

So now I am going to follow the Beck Diet Solution program and train my brain to think like a thin person. This blog will chart my progress and maintain my motivation (I hope), so wish me luck!

1 comment:

persammon said...

If people are working through the Beck Diet Solution book, and are looking for an online support group to serve as a type of online Diet Coach, there is an active group at Peertrainer, with over 35 members, and growing.

Its free of course, and the group is called “Mind Over Matter” and you can join at the link below.
There are even threads about each day of the program.

Mind Over Matter (free online support group for Beck Diet Solution)
http://www.peertrainer.com/TeamDetails.aspx?GroupID=25340

To join the group, there is a little button at the link above. Again, of course its free, and can be anonymous if one chooses.