Friday, April 11, 2008

DAY 5: Concentrated Meals

I was a credit-giving maniac today! I congratulated myself on everything, genuinely and sincerely, and it felt great. And that sure makes it easier to fight the cravings that are creeping up on me now...

But today's focus is about focus. Being mindful and slow while I eat was another tough lesson to master and one I abandoned completely during my binging the last few months. I picked it back up pretty well today, but it's still a struggle.

My biggest problem is the boredom. Focusing on my food to the exclusion of everything else can occupy my mind for the first few bites, but then my attention drifts. I had no cure for this during my last run through the program, and I don't see any answers this time around. The best I can do is savor those first few bites and do my best with the rest.

The other thing I can do is stop eating in front of the TV, the computer, or a book. Having those distractions while I'm trying to focus doesn't help.

A third thing I can do is remind myself how much better my food tastes, how much more I enjoy it, when I'm eating slowly and mindfully. That's a pretty great reward for the effort!

CREDIT ACCOUNT: $2

No comments: