Monday, April 7, 2008

DAY 1: Third Time's the Charm

The last time I tried re-doing the Beck Diet Solution program, I realized I was just going through the motions with the idea the magic would just happen again. That the weight would just drop off with the ease of my first time through. It's true that I had a relatively easy run on the program then, but I was putting in effort. And that effort is the only way any diet can work.

So I took some time to get my mind right, to really commit once again to thinking and acting like a thin person. I believe I'm there this time, with two new incentives to make it.

The first incentive is the realization that if I had stuck to the program last year and continued at the same rate, today I would be at my goal weight. That could have been a depressing realization, but instead it shocked me out of my inertia.

The second incentive is a doctor's appointment at the end of this month. Doctor visits always mean a discussion about my weight, and this doctor will carry on that tradition. But she does it in such a sincerely caring, non-judgmental way that I hate to disappoint her, year after year, with my weight gains. This year, I have lost weight since my last visit, but I'd like to lose even more by the time I see her. A bigger loss would just be more impressive, and it means a good start on my journey this time.

The impetus to regain ground ('cause it hasn't happened by wishing for it) and the need to prove myself are powerful motivators. I'll also have my ARC to keep me going. And this time, I'm going all the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.