Monday, April 14, 2008

DAY 8: Time for a Diet

On this second time through the Beck Diet Solution, I'm rereading each Day of my first time through, and compared to last time, today didn't go so well.

Today started off fantastically. It was (unofficial) weigh-in day, and I lost 3 pounds! I actually jumped for joy when I saw those numbers on the scale.

I couldn't have lost the weight without the exceedingly hard work I put into my diet last week, and part of that work was fighting cravings. One of the ways I fight cravings is to tell myself I can't have what I crave right now. Telling myself "no, absolutely not" can be too hard, so if I tell myself "yes, but later", it's easier to let the craving pass. And when later comes, I probably won't want it anymore, so win-win.

But last week, my craving for bread was so strong that I told myself if I worked really hard, I could reward myself with bread after the weigh-in. This promise was all I could think of yesterday, and I'm not sure I would have made it through without it. But this morning, riding the high of my weight loss, I wasn't sure I wanted the bread after all. On the other hand, I'd wanted it so much last week, so much so that it felt like salvation, that I finally decided yes, I'd have the bread.

I ate a lot of bread. And that's about all I did today. Literally. I skipped both my gym classes, nixed the idea of a make-up walk, and lounged around all day eating bread and reading a book. Definitely not as good as that other Day 8.

But I'm still in the same boat, unemployed and unattached, so I have nothing but time for this diet. And the clock starts again tomorrow!

CREDIT ACCOUNT: $5

No comments: