Saturday, April 19, 2008

DAY 13: Jonesing for a Fix

I needed to read this step 3 months ago when my cravings took charge and I put on 20+ pounds again. *sigh* Still, it's good that I'm reading it now, because I have by no means cured my addiction to calories.

Last time, I never really got to test the Anti-Craving Strategies Dr. Beck prescribes, because I never really had any cravings until I started giving myself carte blanche to eat whatever, whenever. This time, however, I suspect these strategies will be getting quite the workout. And just reading them every day on the Response Card I've recreated goes a long way to reinforcing my positive behaviors.

Two more Response Cards from this step also help, so I've recreated them as well:

Sabotaging Thought: The next time I have a craving, I won't be able to tolerate it.
Helpful Response: I couldn't tolerate cravings in the past, but now I have lots of anti-craving techniques that I can use, which will make the craving go away. Besides, the discomfort of cravings is mild compared to the discomfort I felt when I had cancer. I survived that, and I can certainly survive cravings.

Sabotaging Thought: The next time I have a craving I won't want to control myself.
Helpful Response: I can keep reminding myself that I don't want to be at the mercy of my cravings forever. To get rid of them, I'm always going to have to do one of 2 things: either give in and never lose the weight I want or use the anti-craving techniques so often that I just won't have many cravings anymore. Once I find out these techniques really work, I'll be able to wait out my cravings so much more easily. I'll be glad when I get to the point where I don't have to be worried when I go to a party or eat out. I'll know for sure that I can tolerate these urges.

With Dr. Beck's help, I will soon learn to "Just Say No" once again.

CREDIT ACCOUNT: $6

No comments: