Sunday, April 13, 2008

DAY 7: See No Evil

Once again, I am unemployed and unable to keep tempting food in the house, so this step doesn't really apply to me. I do still have my ARC cards posted in the food cupboard and on the fridge, as an extra line of defense.

And this Response Card is a great help, so I've recreated it:

Sabotaging Thought: I don't want to waste food by throwing it out.
Helpful Response: If I don't throw it out, I'll be at risk for "wasting" it in my body, where it'll turn to fat. Which is a better way to waste it?

This notion of wasting food is really important to me right now in the context of not cleaning every last speck of food from my plate. I have been so completely programmed to clean my plate that I really do, eating every last crumb and scraping up every last bit of sauce. By the time I'm done with a plate, you can barely tell it's been used!

The end result is that I often eat more than I want or need, so I worked on breaking that behavior last time. My success varied, but it is a big change and can't happen overnight. The important thing is that I keep working at it. Right now I'm trying to train myself to always leave the last bite. It's one bite, not much food to waste at all, but it can still be a struggle. But I have persistence and Dr. Beck on my side, so I'll get there eventually.

CREDIT ACCOUNT: $4

No comments: