Tuesday, November 13, 2007

WEEK 17-2: When, Not If

I've read my ARC and Response Cards two days in a row now, an impressive track record to my mind.

It was a chore just finding the cards; they were in my Beck Diet Solution book, which I haven't looked at in about 10 weeks. So it was quite the success getting so far as to hold them in my hands. However, I wasn't successful soon enough; my resolve was weak yesterday afternoon and I polished off 2 more of those @$%* cookies, before I found the strength to get rid of them. Since then, I've been reading the cards and if they aren't helping, they're sure not hurting: my diet has been on track and I'm getting in my exercise too.

The thing I'm noticing about my reasons for losing weight is that I used to read them by mentally starting with the phrase, If I lost weight, then... Reading them that way now has me thinking to myself, But I have lost weight! Even though I'm still far from my goal weight, I can't help thinking that I've achieved each and every one of my goals to one degree or another. For instance, I'm already able to wear pretty clothes, I already look more attractive, and I've already been asked out on a date. My body is so much more physically fit, and my self-esteem is at an all-time high. I'm even happier when I look in the mirror, and others can't stop commenting on how much I've changed.

So what I need to focus on now is not "if I lose weight" but "when I lose all the weight". On that happy day I can, without reservation, check off goals like looking better in pictures, eliminating back pain, and not being embarrassed when I'm naked. And until then, I'll be reading my ARC and Response Cards to stay strong and motivated!

No comments: