Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WEEK 17-3: Happy Birthday!, Part I

Tonight I celebrated my birthday for the first time this year, even though it's still a few weeks away.

I am a firm believer that if you celebrate no other holidays, you should still celebrate your birthday. It's not about being another year older (and closer to death...) but a time of thanksgiving that you, a unique package of talents, experiences, and qualities, came into existence. How can you not celebrate that?

However, Dr. Beck makes a good point about changing the way we celebrate to maintain our diet goals. Does every birthday party have to include a 1,000-calorie slice of cake? Will I be less happy to be alive if I don't toast myself with gallons of champagne? Can I look forward to another year without 3 different birthday celebrations?

Well, no, no, and still no. I do like a party, and ones in my honor are the bestest, so I will celebrate as often as my friends will support! But I can celebrate sensibly (despite what an oxymoron that seems like), which is what I did tonight at a birthday dinner in my honor.

I knew which restaurant we'd be going to so I was able to plan my menu in advance and then concentrate on celebrating with good friends and lively conversation instead of lots of food and drink. And I did it! I had a lovely time even though I ate only 1/2 my entree, forewent a cocktail, and replaced birthday cake with low-fat (but sinfully delicious) gelato. I did splurge by eating some garlic bread; it was a present to myself for abstaining from all that other bread this year, and it might have been the best present so far!

I'm really proud of myself for celebrating responsibly, especially because it'll be easier now at my next celebration. And best of all: no morning-after sugar hangover!

No comments: