Saturday, November 24, 2007

WEEK 18-6: Happy Birthday!, Part II

Tonight's celebration was at a restaurant featuring butter-topped steaks and 8 kinds of potatoes. I anticipated this would be a bad place for my diet, but I was happily surprised.

Everything is a la carte there, so I didn't have to worry about a huge platter of food and everyone shared things family style as well. So I had a 4 oz. filet medallion (yes, soaked in butter, and it was amazing) as well as a taste of the sweet potato casserole with pecan crust (divine!), creamed spinach, and some asparagus and broccoli. I splurged with a cocktail, enjoyed a slice of bread with butter, and even had room for a bite of creme brulee with fresh berries. It was all so good, but what really stays with me is how I hardly ate anything! I had such little tastes of everything but felt completely satisfied. Now that's a celebration!

But the celebration started before I even walked into the restaurant. Back in the throes of a shopping spree, I bought a dress. It's a 50s-style cocktail dress in pink with a black chiffon overlay, and it's nothing I would normally buy. For starters, it's sleeveless (and my arms are much more defined but still awfully puffy). But more importantly, it's a size 8.

The friend I was shopping with found it for herself but decided the pink didn't suit her. So she insisted I try it on. At the time I was celebrating being able to squeeze into a 12 -- an 8 was never going to fit! But she insisted, so I tried it on to show her how silly she was being. Amazingly, the dress fit -- almost. I could get it on and it looked pretty good, but it wouldn't zip up all the way. My friend insisted I buy it anyway, as an incentive for losing more weight. I was worn down enough to agree, and the dress hung in my closet, waiting.

When I was picking out what to wear to tonight's birthday dinner, I thought of trying on the pink dress, just to see how much further I had to go until I could wear a size 8. The answer: I'm there! I wore a size 8 dress to dinner tonight! A size EIGHT!

I'm so excited but trying to keep perspective. The dress is generously cut, and it's possible it's mis-marked because I'm still just fitting into size 12 clothing, and my arms really aren't ready for sleeveless wear yet. But.

I wore a size 8 dress to dinner tonight. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: