Tuesday, November 20, 2007

WEEK 18-2: Short Circuits

Today I participated in a seminar on circuit training. The poster for the seminar advertised it would teach beginners how to combat holiday overeating and stress using free weights in 45-60 second intervals. When I read, "free weights in 45-60 second intervals", I thought, "piece of cake". I expected I'd get a light strength workout, about on par with a weight-lifting session on the machines, and I'd be prepared to counteract the imminent holiday excesses.

As it happened, the seminar had nothing to do with holiday overeating or stress. I could use what they taught me when I've been overeating or feel stressed, but then I could use any number of exercises in those situations.

And as it happens, circuit training is a combination of cardio and strength training. Light workout? Oh, no. We stair-climbed, jogged, squatted, lunged, pushed up, dipped, chest-pressed, bicep-curled, tricep-extended, rowed, crunched, sat up, balanced, and repeated until I "felt the burn" and sweated out at least a pound!

Sure, each exercise took only 45 seconds, but then it was immediately on to the next station, so it was non-stop exercise for 45 minutes. But I made it! And I have Jillian to thank for it.

When the contestants on The Biggest Loser are shown doing their workouts, I often think some of them seem kind of weak and whiny. Even when I was at my couch-potato worst, I secretly believed I wouldn't be such a crybaby and give up as easily as some do. And it's true, now that I'm working out so much, I'm a dynamo and generally power through my exercise. But this circuit training was different; I was working so much harder and on such weaker muscles that I really wanted to quit so many times. But then I would picture Jillian barking at her trainees and it would remind me not to be so soft, and I would keep going.

I may not be winning $250,000 and I still may have trouble with holiday overeating and stress, but today's experience does have me feeling like a giant lose-er (in the best possible way!).

No comments: