Friday, November 16, 2007

WEEK 17-5: We're Just Good Friends

Exercise has been a little tricky to work into my schedule this week. I made it to both of my Monday classes but couldn't fit in Tuesday's or Wednesday's. Then I made it to Thursday's but skipped today's. I replaced the missed classes with hour-long walks, but I'm feeling bereft without those classes.

Perhaps the most incredible change the Beck Diet Solution has made in me is an affinity for exercise. I wouldn't say I love it now (I'm still me, after all), but I've come to accept, truly and completely, that exercise is a necessary evil. I've come so far that it hardly even seems evil -- a necessary chore, then.

I've always known exercise was necessary to losing weight and to good health in general, but I lived in a kind of denial where "But I don't like it" and "I'd rather watch TV over a pint of Ben & Jerry's" were perfectly legitimate excuses not to exercise. And then I willfully ignored the relationship between my enlarging body and my sedentary existence...

Dr. Beck put a stop to that nonsense by repeating, gently but consistently, that exercise is vital to diet success. It's even the focus of both Day 9 and Day 39. She's right, I know it, and now I can't keep pretending to myself. But I got all the way to accepting exercise as a "necessary chore" with the help of the Oh, well principle. It's amazing how much power those 2 little words hold!

Of course it also helps that I'm far enough along now that I can see the direct results of exercising, which is a powerful motivation to keep going. Having others notice the difference is great too; today an acquaintance I hadn't seen in months described me as "slender". Me! Slender! That, I love!

So here I am, going to the gym almost every day and missing it when I can't go. It may not be a love affair, but it's looking like a lifelong friendship!

No comments: