Friday, November 23, 2007

WEEK 18-5: Down the Hatch

Unfortunately, the cake didn't go into the trash right that minute. My taboo against wasting food was too strong, and the cake and the pies were still hanging around the kitchen this morning.

At first, I tried to work a piece of cake into my food plan, promising myself I had the will power to have a single piece each day. And that cake was dee-licious! So delicious, in fact, that I couldn't stop wondering if a piece of French silk chocolate pie would taste as good...

I fought myself all day, remembering my Response Cards on wasting food and fighting cravings, and in the end, I said to myself, "I accept that what I'm doing is a bad idea and I want to do it anyway." So I had some pie and some more cake. They both tasted so wonderful, but not wonderful enough to wash out the disappointment in myself or the bloated queasiness in my stomach.

In atonement, I went for a long walk. I'd already been to the gym this morning, but more exercise seemed like a good idea for three reasons:
  • to work off some of the excess
  • to get away from the desserts and their siren call
  • to have a good long talk with myself

I spent that walk thinking about why I was being so foolish, giving in to emotional eating and refusing to "waste" food in the more beneficial way.

It worked. When I got home, the pies immediately went into the trash can. I couldn't quite bring myself to throw away the cake -- I'm only human! -- but I did put it in the freezer. Maybe it will get freezer-burned and less appetizing, but at the very least making it a popsicle will slow down my eating!

No comments: